Unsung Heroes: Darren Waterworth, Melbourne Staff Band

Hi everyone and welcome to the latest edition of the Brass Band Hog Blog. This time I spent time chatting to another of banding's Unsung Heroes, Darren Waterworth, a Salvationist of Boxhill Corps, Australia and percussionist in the Melbourne Staff Band for almost forty years. 

A bit about yourself: 

BBH: For the benefit of those of us who have not visited Australia, can you please tell me a little bit about your hometown of Box Hill. 

DW: Box Hill is in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, about 20 kilometres from the CBD (Central Business District). It is culturally quite diverse, with a strong Asian population. Growing up I probably lived about 15 kilometres from Box Hill, in Rosanna. We travelled about 30 minutes across town to Moreland corps where my parents grew up and attended most of their lives. I would still say that Moreland corps is my ‘spiritual home’; it was a corps which was very influential in my own faith journey. 

BBH: How did you come to join the Salvation Army? 

DW: I was born into it really and both of my grandparents were Salvationists. I have always attended The Salvation Army, growing up in the Moreland corps, before moving to Box Hill corps in 2000 after moving home across town. 

BBH: What is the Corps at Boxhill like? 

DW: The corps is quite vibrant and, whilst it could be labelled ‘traditional’, we have three congregations who are quite different. The band participates in the 11:00 service, but we have other services at 09:30 and 17:00. We currently have a strong band of almost 30, but like many bands it has an aging ‘population’. 

BBH: I see from your band profile that you are employed by St Andrew’s Christian College. Do you see this as an extension of your Salvationism? 

DW: It certainly is an extension of my Christian faith. It really is a blessing to work in a Christian organisation. I’m the College Business Manager and am responsible for all the non-academic functions of the College such as finance, human resources, property and insurance – it is a support role to ensure the College operates smoothly. I’ve worked in education administration for over 20 years. 

As a Musician: 

BBH: Was Percussion your first instrument (or instruments!)? 

DW: I first learnt brass in the Young People's band at about 8 years old; cornet and baritone first, but I probably developed into a reasonable horn player. When I was 17 years old the corps band needed a percussionist so I had ‘crash’ course firstly on the snare drum. Within about 18 months I joined the Melbourne Staff Band (MSB) on percussion. I’m still playing percussion in the MSB, but in the last few years I’ve been playing tenor horn in the Box Hill band. I’m a melody kind of guy  the fingers don’t go quickly enough for the fast stuff! 

BBH: As a Salvation Army musician I understand you would see your banding as an expression of your faith. How intertwined are these aspects of your life? 

DW: I certainly find it easy to express my faith as a bandsman, it is how I praise God. The music of the Salvation Army – both band and choral music – speaks to my heart and feel that I can soak in God so much through music. 

BBH: Who were your early musical Inspirations and influences? 

DW: My first brass teacher was Alan Stevens at the Moreland corps. As I took playing the tenor horn more seriously I had lessons with Mac Carter (a former member of the ISB). I remember getting the ‘talk’ a few times along the lines of "your parents are paying for these lessons so you’d better do a bit more practice than it sounds like you’re doing!"

I learnt percussion from Geoff Thomas, who was the MSB percussionist in the 1970s-80s. Geoff was a real craftsman on the snare drum – machine gun like semi-quavers, the smoothest of rolls, and quite commanding in his approach to snare drum playing if that makes sense. 

BBH: What has your experience of banding taught you? 

DW: If you are going to do something, give it 100%, be on time, and be willing to encourage others. 

BBH: Do you play for other ensembles (brass or otherwise)? 

DW: No, just the MSB and Box Hill band. I do sometimes help out in the orchestra for school musical productions which is a bit of fun. 

BBH: What is your personal practice schedule? Do you have a set structure for sessions? Are you willing to share all (or some) of it with myself and the reader? 

DW: Not having a set of percussion equipment at home, I’m limited to snare drum practice at home. I use the George Lawrence Stone ‘Stick Control’ book which is seen by some as the ‘snare drummer’s bible’. 

In the MSB I mainly play timpani so I need to go to the bandroom to practice. This probably means that I rehearse specific pieces to make sure I’ve got them right. I need to practice the drum kit/set more! I spend a fair bit of time marking up music in particular notating quick note changes on the timpani.

The Melbourne Staff Band 

BBH: How and when did you come to join the Melbourne Staff Band? 

DW: I joined in July 1981. I was fortunate that Geoff Thomas, my teacher, was the other percussionist so he was well aware of what I could handle and in the early months made sure I wasn’t exposed to anything that might trip me up. 

BBH: What is it that you love about and has kept you involved with the MSB for almost forty years? 

DW: I love the opportunity for service and ministry. Yes, it’s great to tour and play the big concerts, but it really is the Sunday ministry, sharing in worship at corps that still brings a lot of blessing and enjoyment. And these days it’s the opportunity to encourage younger members of the band. 

BBH: You list among your highlights ISB 120. What was it about this tour that stands out so clearly for you? 

There was a ‘buzz’ around the UK even before the weekend in London. Our time in Sheffield, Kettering, Sunderland Millfield, Bristol Easton were a great lead up to the weekend. Catching up with many friends in the other staff bands was a highlight. The ISB’s performance of Fire in the Blood was inspirational. The crowds down The Mall for the Sunday afternoon march was quite amazing. An amazing administrative effort by the ISB team. 

BBH: The MSB were also involved at Boundless in 2015, were you present for this? 

DW: Yes, another great experience. Something quite different worshiping in a huge arena with such a vast crowd. 

BBH: You've previously shared that your favourite piece of music as ‘The New Covenant’ by James Curnow. Why is this? 

DW: I first heard The New Covenant in 1982 when the NYSB toured Australia. It was the first staff band that had toured Australia since the ISB in 1967 and it was one of the first international bands that I had heard. It’s not a ‘fireworks’ kind of number but I love it’s glorious sounds, the delicate soprano cornet solo, and James Curnow's artistic treatment of the hymn tune French. 

BBH: There’s a family feel to the MSB with your brother, Ken, being the bandmaster and your father, Robin, having been a member for thirty-one years. What impact has this strong sense of family had on you as a member?

DW: As a kid I just loved going to the MSB concerts and Sunday engagements, and the big Army events – Congress and Commissioning. I was proud that my father was a member of the band and I would go to band rehearsal during the school holiday. When we were all living at home we would of course travel together to MSB engagements, it was just so much in my blood. I have been the MSB band secretary for over 30 years, so I have been the band secretary for the entire time Ken has been the bandmaster. I think that has been beneficial for the band in some way…I don’t think we’ve argued too many times but the guys in the band might remember a few times when there may have been ‘words'! 

And a bit of fun!

BBH: What is your favourite Salvation Army march and why? 

DW: Hillcrest – the best snare drum writing in SA band repertoire 

BBH: Is there any instrument, from any genre that you would like to be able to play – and why? 

DW: It would be great to be able to play the pianoforte. An instrument you can create so much colour and harmony, you’re in control of what the instrument produces. 

BBH: If you could meet any Salvationist composer or musician, past or present, and ask them just one question who would it be, why and what would you ask?

DW: Eric Ball. In Song of Courage near the end there is a Solo Cornet note all by itself, is that a written mistake or is it correct…I’ve always wondered that!

Darren, thanks once again for taking the time to chat to me about yourself, your faith and your musicianship. It's been fascinating! 

Comments

Popular Posts