You Only Sing When You're Winning?

Over the autumn, there has been a flurry of contests across the UK. Perhaps Covid has impacted my memory of just how many contests there are, or perhaps I was never paying enough attention in the first place. Regardless, there seems to have been at least one contest, somewhere, every weekend since the start of September. My social media feeds have been full of posts from friends celebrating with trophies of varying sizes for finishing in the top three of a contest, or better still winning it. And this has really brought something home to me.

I have never won a contest.

Never. 

I've never even finished in a trophy winning position. 

Well. That's not strictly true. I once came first in a contest with my training band, but we were the only band in the section, so it doesn’t count. 

I would be lying then if I said that this realisation hadn’t left me feeling a bit sad. I entered my first contest in 2009 and have only won that one 'by default' trophy, despite being involved in multiple contests since. In fact, as I type, the painful reflection that the year my band qualified for the finals, was the year I couldn’t play also comes back to me. Perhaps I should just pack it in altogether.

But actually, when I think about, not winning anything has never actually impacted my enjoyment of a contest. I might be a bit grumpy for a few minutes after the results but that has usually past in the time it takes me to make it back to the bar. Even the occasion we got relegated by pretty fine margins it didn't stop me enjoying the day. Yes, it would be great to win, and the longer I have to wait for that moment the sweeter it’ll be when it does finally happen, but I always have a great time when I go to a contest. I get to catch up with old friends, meet new people and spend time talking to those people who you only ever see at contests. Then there is the music itself, whatever section, whatever type of contest it’s always great to hear so many bands. I even like browsing the trade stands and looking at instruments and accessories that I definitely need, even though I don’t.

Would winning the contest make this experience any better? To be honest, I don’t know having never been in that position, but I’m going to optimistically say ‘no’. I would still be able to do all of those same things, meet the same people and listen to the same bands but without the knowledge of the win and the chance to take a photo with the trophy. Yes, I appreciate there is an emotional aspect to this too, but until I experience this I can’t define or appreciate what this might feel like.

Ultimately banding, whether you compete or not, is a hobby - something we do for fun. Bands didn't evolve to fit a contesting system, contesting evolved as a by-product of a pastime with it's origins as a recreation activity for workers in heavy industry. The earliest bands were set up, for fun and that's the way they should remain. It's great to win trophies as recognition for hard work and a good performance (I'm told) but it's even better to spend a day having a good time with your mates. 

Comments

Popular Posts