Unsung Heroes: Iain Parkhouse, International Staff Band

Hello, and welcome to the latest edition of The Brass Band Hog Blog. This time I have spent time to another of brass banding's unsung heroes; Iain Parkhouse, second baritone player in the International Staff Band of the Salvation Army. We sat down to discuss his upbringing as the child of Salvation Army Officers, his career in The Band of The Coldstream Guards, life as Bandmaster at Croydon Citadel and his twenty years of service to The ISB. 

Firstly a bit about yourself

BBH: What do you do for a living? 

IP: I work in Financial Services as an Independent Financial Adviser - 33 years & soon to retire!

BBH: I understand that you grew up in the Salvation Army as a child of officers/ministers. What was this like? 

IP: I loved the idea of moving every few years and was very lucky to be influenced by so many in the different corps we were at.

BBH: Presumably your earliest playing experiences came as a result of this upbringing? Can you tell us a bit about this? 

IP: I first played in the junior band at Hull Central, I think on Bass Drum initially, before starting to play on the Tenor Horn. At Gainsborough, where there was an excellent senior band, I was given a baritone to play in the junior band & was lucky enough to be surrounded by some great musicians, some of whom went on to play professionally, such as Paul Young & Martin Rockall. This is really where I got the bug of wanting to play!

The Band of the Coldstream Guards

BBH: When and why did you decide to join the Coldstream Guards? 

IP: I joined the Coldstream Guards Band straight from school as an 18 year old in 1980. I'd auditioned at various music colleges on Tuba, though I really wanted to play my Euphonium, but there were few opportunities to study any brass band instrument at college in those days!

BBH: What are some of your highlights from your time in the military? 

IP: I served for nine years with the Band and had the privilege of playing in some of the finest venues around the world, including Sydney Opera House, Madison Square Gardens, the amazing concert halls of Japan, as well as the usual summer season of Cup Finals at Wembley, Trooping the Colour and the Royal Weddings of the early 1980's. The biggest event I took part in was being in the Fanfare Trumpet team that played before the Live Aid Concert at Wembley Stadium in 1985.

BBH: How, if at all, did being in the military affect your attendance at the Salvation Army? Did you attend a Corps near where you were based?

IP: I finished my schooling at Chelmsford, although my parents had been posted to Sheffield Citadel and I remained at the Corps for a couple of years, before returning to Croydon, where we'd been stationed before we moved to Chelmsford. I was at the Army as often as I could whenever not on duty.

Croydon Citadel Salvation Army

BBH: When did you first move there and how did it come about? 

IP: We originally moved to Croydon Citadel in November 1973, where my parents were the Officers, before moving on to Chelmsford in 1976. I returned to Croydon in 1982.

BBH: I understand you’ve been bandmaster on at least two occasions - how did this come about? 

IP: Croydon has had many fine musicians in the corps through the years and I learned so much from these revered Famous Army Figures - having served as both Deputy S/L & Songster Leader, I was asked to take over the Band in 1992 when Anthony Leggett stepped down. After 10 years, I always felt that it was time to let someone else do the job. Then in 2010 I was approached again to fulfil the role, and remained until December 2019.

BBH: What is it like being bandmaster at one of the most well known Salvation Army Corps? 

IP: In truth, I loved the opportunity to make music with some outstanding players, great role models and be encouraged by many in the Corps. I'd been a Bandsman under the tutelage of the great Major Leslie Condon and just felt hugely privileged to be following in his footsteps.

BBH: Equally, does it present any challenges? For example, does being a bandmaster impact your playing and personal practice? 

IP: The challenges are wide and varied as many will know, it's not just about waving your arms around on a Thursday night and Sunday morning! My playing was greatly impacted in my first stint of being BM as I rarely had the opportunity to play apart from Christmas carolling and infrequent recording engagements with the Egon Band.

The International Staff Band

BBH: When did you join the ISB and how did it come about? 

IP: When I finished being the BM at Croydon the first time in 2002, I wanted to take a break for 6 months to allow my successor the space and time to make his mark with the band. But I was called by Kevin Ashman asking if I'd like to join the ISB. I stuck to my original plan to take some time out but in early 2003 the call came again and I was delighted to take up the opportunity.

BBH: Have you always played baritone for the band? 

IP: Yes, I joined playing 1st Baritone between Gary Rose & Howard Bowes, who I learned a huge amount about the sound the baritone could make and have been there ever since.

BBH: I understand that you’ve been involved for almost twenty years now. What is it about the band that has kept you involved for so long? 

IP: I love Salvation Army music, something that hit me all those years ago as a young boy at Gainsborough and it still challenges my faith to play music that has its own message. Coupled with being able to play with a group that has very high standards and to sit alongside heroes of mine has kept my love of banding.

BBH: What are some of your most memorable experiences from your time with the band? 

IP: Tours are always fantastic and I've been lucky to travel to many parts of the world as a member of the ISB. You meet so many that are thrilled to see & hear the Band and you realize the privilege that being a member brings! Without doubt a highlight was ISB120 when 8 staff bands from around the world played together at the Royal Albert Hall and marched down The Mall to play at Buckingham Palace (my first time back there since the 1980's!!).

A bit of fun

BBH: If you could ask one question of any Salvationist composer (or other musical figure) throughout history, what would it be and why? 

IP: It would always be to Leslie Condon - to ask him why he changed a few bars in his epic Tone Poem, The Present Age - I always preferred the original!!

BBH: If you had to pick four other members of the ISB to play in a five a side football team, who would they be and why? Who would the manager be?

IP: Of the current members I'd be picking Gavin Lamplough, Jonathan Evans, Ashley Durrant & Nigel Hills - I've no idea what they're like as players but they're avid fans & they all talk a good game. The manager would probably be Kevin Coates, as he's too old to be a player these days (and I've seen him play!!

Iain, it's been a pleasure getting to know a bit more about you. Thank you for your time participating in this interview and I wish you all the best for the future. 

Comments

Popular Posts